Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Shadow by Shannon Thompson

I've been attacked from all sides. Over and over again I've been hit. I'm covered in shadow. Darkness is all around me. And no matter how hard I try, no matter how fast I run, I can't reach the light. Again I'm struck down but fiercly I stand up again. As I am hit by another sharp, painful blow I start to grow weaker. I take a moment to rest my weary body and it suddenly dawns on me. That shadow, that thing that I cursed, that's His shadow. I've heard of Him before, but I thought that He couldn't exist in such a painful world. If He did, why would He allow so much pain? It all becomes clear to me as I look up at His strong form, blocking my view of my attackers. There are so many attacks. So many rocks and arrows and broken bits of glass and everything that symbolizes pain that haven't hit me. As I watch His strong figure in front of me, always watchful, always making a path for me, I realize He stopped the attacks. He sometimes allowed the enemy to try and harm me, knowing it would make me stronger and eventually bring me to Him. And when He knew I could take no more, when I was on the ground and shaking with pain and weariness, and could no longer stop those cunning attacks from our mutual foe, He stood in front of me. He took every blow. Every stinging, burning, crushing, cutting blow was taken by His own holy, pure, perfect being. Without Him shielding me from those unrelenting attacks, I would surely be dead. Fully seeing the meaning of that shadow, I cry out in shame. What have I done to deserve life? Why would He take so much pain for someone who had for so long cursed His very existence? Turning for just a moment, my Savior looks me right in the eyes and says simply "You are my child. I would do so much more for your life." His child? Me? He would call this pitiful, lonely, twisted and evil being His child? "You are so much more than that. You are My creation. Made in My image." His creation? Understanding washes over me like golden sunshine breaking through the thickest, grayest rainclouds.
I've finally found someone who loves me! In spite of my failures and all my wrongdoings He loves me! Fueled by a newfound joy and hope, I walk behind Him with a spring in my step. I no longer see His shadow as a curse, but as a blessing. A blanket of protection around me. And during those times of pain and weariness, I now trust my Savior to always take care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment